Have you ever wondered why your doctor or your child's doctor ordered a certain blood test? Are you curious about what your blood pressure results really mean? You can find answers to these questions and many more from MedlinePlus.
With information about 278 (and growing) different medical tests, MedlinePlus offers details about everything from routine blood counts and cholesterol checks to tests for tumor markers, cognitive disorders, and rare genetic diseases.
Medical test articles from MedlinePlus give key details and facts in an easy-to-understand Q&A format, using information from leading health experts and organizations. Each article includes:
- A definition or description of the test
- An explanation of why the test is needed
- What to expect before, during, and after testing
Some articles also include information on disease management and prevention.
Test preparation and results
You can also find information on general topics related to testing, such as:
- Preparing for a lab test. Before some tests, you have to take special steps to ensure the most accurate results. This article includes examples of how you may need to prepare, such as fasting or avoiding certain medicines.
- Preparing your child for a lab test. Testing can be especially scary for children. This article includes tips for helping them understand what's happening so that they'll feel more at ease before and during testing. It also describes some common tests that children undergo.
- Understanding your lab results. This article explains the different kinds of test results you may get and what they might mean. It also includes information about factors that can affect the accuracy of your results.
The list of tests is always growing
Medical test articles are updated frequently to ensure they contain the latest information. The list of tests is continually expanding. Recent additions include:
- Coping with medical test anxiety. Some people get so stressed and worried about medical tests that they won't take them, which can put their health at risk. This article provides helpful information and tips for coping that may help reduce their anxiety.
- Basic metabolic panel. This article briefly describes the types of tests included in a basic metabolic panel. It also explains why the test is given and what you can expect when you take it.
- Measuring blood pressure. This article describes why you might need a blood pressure test and how it works. It also mentions at-home tests as well as steps you can take to reduce your blood pressure.
- Coming soon: Articles on sleep studies and more.